Why do bears climb trees?
How big is a black bear?
How can I tell if there are bears around?
What do bears eat?
What do claw marks on a tree mean?
How far away can a bear smell food?
Why is there a bear nosing around my birdfeeder?
Are black bears dangerous?
But if you take the time to understand what makes bears tick, your human light bulb will go off, and you'll have a much easier time of appreciating bears – and preventing them from creating problems for you.
That's why several chapters in Living with Bears Handbook are devoted to bear basics, like where bears live, what they eat and why the very same traits that make them successful omnivores can get them into trouble with their human neighbors.
For example, Chapter 3 includes:
A Bear's Life | Home on the Range | Why Do Bears Roam
Sizing Up Bears | What Color is a Black Bear?
Carnivore or Omnivore? | Built for Strength and Endurance
The Courtship of Bears | A Little Bit Pregnant
The Annual Feeding Frenzy | A Long Winter's Nap
Do Bears Really Hibernate? | Spring Wake-Up Call
A Nose for Food | All Ears | Do Bears Need Glasses?
Smarter Than the Smartest Dog | Can Bears Reason?
Good Memories | Curious and Resourceful | Shy and Evasive
Remarkable Tolerant | All-Around Animal Athletes
Learn About Bears. Get the Book.
- Black bear populations by state and province
- Why understanding bear biology helps people
- Understanding bear behavior
- Bear Calorie Counter
- Recognizing signs of bear activity
- Interpreting bear sounds
- Handling encounters with bears
- Being bear-smart in the outdoors
- Bear-proofing homes and communities
- Grizzly bears in brief
- Glossary of bear terms
- Bear viewing and photography guide
Be Prepared. Use the Pocket Guides.
The new companion Bear Smart Pocket Guides offer lots of tips and handy facts in a convenient tri-fold format so they’re easy to post on your frig or take with you anywhere. Or give to your neighbor.
- Living in Bear Country: Beary Smart Solutions to help keep bears wild and away from your home and stuff.
- Playing in Bear Country: Bear smart tips for hikers and campers, and tells you what to do if you encounter a black bear.
- Visiting Bear Country: Get the bear facts and be bear prepared when vacationing where bears roam.